If you have additional immigration questions you may call:
Jewish Family Services 732-777-1940 and speak to an immigration expert,
or “click here” to ask your question via e-mail.

Most Frequently Asked Questions and Answers


Question #1:
Who can apply for legal permanent residence ( green card)?

Answer: You can become a permanent resident:

  • Based upon employment (consult your employer)
  • Based upon familial relationship (only parent, child, sibling)
  • Based upon Diversity Visa Lottery
  • Based upon a well founded fear of persecution in a home country.

Back to


Question #2:
What documents will I need in order to file for legal permanent residence?

Answer: You will need:


  • The original birth certificate and English translation
  • Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa
  • 2 passport style photos
  • Medical Examination if you are applying for adjustment through a Service Center
  • Form G325a, Biographic Information Sheet
  • Copy of Form I-94, Nonimmigrant Arrival/Departure record
  • Affidavit of Support, for adjustment based on entry as a fiancée or relative visa petition.

Please consult the USCIS website, www.uscis.gov, as additional evidence may be required.

Back to


Question #3:
How and when should I renew my green card?

Answer: Form I-90,
application to renew or replace your green card should be filed 6 months before the green card expires. You may file electronically at the USCIS website or mail the completed application to USCIS, P.O. Box 54870, Los Angeles, California 90054-0870.

The cost for filing this application is $290 and the fee for biometrics is $80.00. You may submit one check or money order for both the application and
biometrics fees (for fingerprinting, photo, etc.) for a total of $370.00 Please consult the website before submitting any fees as some applicants do not have to submit the fee.

Back to


Question #4:
Can I travel during the adjustment of status process?

Answer: You need to obtain a special travel document (Form I-131) in order to travel outside the United States once the application for adjustment has been
filed. This may take a few months.

The law requires all non-U.S. citizens to report a change of address within 10 days of moving by completing a Form AR-11. Non-citizens with pending applications
should also phone the USCIS 800 number and report the address change. You may also change your address online by visiting the USCIS website.

Back to


Question #5:
How do I apply for citizenship?

Answer: The application
for citizenship is Form N400. To obtain the form:

  • Download Form N-400 from USCIS website at www.uscis.gov
  • Phone USCIS at 1-800-375-5283 and request Form N-400.

Back to


Question #6:
How do I know if I am eligible to apply for citizenship?

Answer: You are eligible to apply for citizenship if you meet all of these requirements:

  • You must be able to read, write and speak English
  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • You must be a legal permanent resident and have continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years prior to filing your application and no single
    absence from the United States for more than one year.
  • You must demonstrate good moral character for at least 5 years
  • You must have knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government.

Back to


Question #7:
What do I need to include in the application, how much does it
cost and where do I mail the package to?

Answer: Mail the application along with 2 passport style photos, a copy of your green card, front and back and a check or money order for $675.00 made payable to “USCIS or “Dept. of Homeland Security.”
You are paying $595.00 for the application and a $80.00 fingerprint fee. If you are 75 or older at time of filing you do not need to pay for fingerprints.

New Jersey residents should mail the application, using certified mail, to: (Be sure to make a copy)

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
75 Lower Weldon Street
St. Albans, Vermont 05479

Back to top


Question #8:
What do I do if I can’t afford the cost of filing the

Answer: If you feel that you can’t afford the cost (due to loss of job, low income) you may file your application with a fee waiver request. USCIS will not waive the $80.00 fingerprint fee.

Back to


Question #9:
What if I am unable to learn English and U.S. history due to a

Answer: If you have a
physical or mental impairment that prevents you from learning
English and U.S. History you may be eligible for a medical
disability exception, form N-648. You or your representative must
complete the first section of the form and your physician will
complete the rest. The form should be submitted along with your
application for naturalization.

Back to


Question #10:
I filed the application a long time ago and have not heard
anything on my case. How do I obtain information on my case?

Answer: You can:

  • Check case status on line by
    visiting USCIS website and clicking on case status info and
    processing times. You will need the receipt number of the
  • Make an appointment with
    INFOPASS, a USCIS web-based system that enables you to schedule
    appointments with immigration officers or USCIS officers.

Back to


Question #11:
I am here on a nonimmigrant visa. How do I extend my stay?

Answer: You may file form
I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant status. You will
need to include Form I-94, front and back and be sure to keep your
passport valid for the duration of your stay. Submit this
application at least 45 days before your stay expires or as soon
as you determine you need to change status. In most cases, it is
not a good idea to apply for a green card while in the U.S. on a
nonimmigrant visa. Consult with an attorney or accredited
representative before doing so.

Back to




  • Middlesex County Board of  Social Services  732-745-3500
  • USCIS (formerly INS)   1-800-375-5283
  • Jewish Family Services of Middlesex County (immigration assistance) 732-777-1940
  • Social Security (New Brunswick office) —- 1-800-772-1213
  • Domestic Violence Hotline    1-800-621-HOPE

Back to



This “Frequently Asked
Immigration Questions” page was developed by Jewish Family Services of Middlesex County

located at 32 Ford Ave., Second Floor, Milltown, NJ 08850. JFS provides comprehensive

immigration assistance and is authorized to represent clients before United States Citizenship

and Immigration Services (formerly INS).

This information page is made possible with funding from the IOLTA Fund of the Bar of New Jersey.


Back to